The Cluver family bought the De Rust farm in 1896 to provide summer grazing for their livestock. In the mid 1900s it became a strong apple-producing area and was subsequently identified as a cool climate wine-growing region which in turn led to the establishment of the first winery in Elgin, that of the Paul Cluver Cellar in 1986. Recognised as pioneers of wine in the area, the focus is on producing elegant wines that are expressive of the terroir.
The wine business forms part of 2000+ hectare holistic farming business called ‘De Rust Estate’, which includes the vineyards and cellar, apple and pear orchards, a Hereford stud and eco-tourism activities, including amphitheatre concerts on the farm. Forming part of the UNESCO world heritage site, the Kogelberg Biosphere, half of the estate has been set aside for conservation into perpetuity.
“Paul Cluver really is doing everything right. Much is down to how winemaker Andries Burger has steered this estate in recent years, to such a position where they would rank in my top ten of great values not just in South Africa, but the world” Neal Martin, eRobertparker.com
• Rated 7th on the Grape Top 20 Wineries Poll of 2010
• Founder member of the Green Mountain Eco-route – the world’s first wine and biodiversity route
• BWI Champion status since 2009
• Drinks Business Green Awards 2010: Lifetime Achievement Award went to Dr. Paul Cluver (and joint runner up in the Ethical Company Award)
• Top Wines SA Awards 2014: Top 20 SA White Wine Cellars, Top 10 SA Chardonnay, Top 10 SA Niche White Varieties, Top 10 SA Pinot Noir, Top 10 SA Dessert Wines
2014 Sauvignon Blanc eRobertParker.com: 90 pts
2014 Dry Encounter Riesling
2014 Close Encounter Riesling
2013 Chardonnay Tim Atkin: 93 pts; eRobertParker.com: 91 pts; Platter: 4½*
2013 Village Pinot Noir
2012/13 Pinot Noir
2012 Seven Flags Pinot Noir
2014 Noble Late Harvest Riesling