The Cluver family bought the De Rust farm in 1896 to provide summer grazing for their livestock. In the mid 1900s it became a strong apple-producing area and was subsequently identified as a cool climate wine-growing region which in turn led to the establishment of the first winery in Elgin, that of the Paul Cluver Cellar in 1986. Recognised as pioneers of wine in the area, the focus is on producing elegant wines that are expressive of the terroir.
The wine business forms part of 2000+ hectare holistic farming business called βDe Rust Estate’, which includes the vineyards and cellar, apple and pear orchards, a Hereford stud and eco-tourism activities, including amphitheatre concerts on the farm. Forming part of the UNESCO world heritage site, the Kogelberg Biosphere, half of the estate has been set aside for conservation into perpetuity.