This family-owned boutique winery is set right on the banks of the Murray River at Trentham Cliffs just outside Mildura. The Murphy family arrived in Australia in 1909 from Ireland and so are numbered among the Irish ‘Winegeese’ who, from the 18th century onwards, engaged in the wine trade in the countries of their adoption and were instrumental in the viticultural development of some of the finest wine-growing areas of the world. Today the many and illustrious wines and labels of the Winegeese have become synonymous with quality on the international market. The winemaking philosophy at Trentham Estate has always been to produce high-quality varietal wines with an emphasis on full fruit flavour while offering fantastic value for money right across the range.
The estate have recently launched a new range of wines, River Retreat, based on an initiative dedicated to raising awareness of the wetlands of South Eastern Australia which are integral in maintaining the health of the unique yet fragile ecosystems of inland Australia. Each purchase of the River Retreat label results in a donation to the Murray Darling Environmental Foundation.
“… this is pure gold-plated magic, winemaker Tony Murphy the wizard…” James Halliday
• Multiple James Halliday +90 pts scores
• Gold medals and Blue-Golds at Sydney Royal Wine Show
• 4½ star winery James Halliday 2010 & 2011
• Best Tourism Winery awarded for 3 consecutive years
• 2012 Pinot Noir: “Excellent crimson-purple; this is pure gold-plated magic, winemaker Tony Murphy the wizard; it is a delicious Pinot Noir with perfect weight, texture and precisely defined spicy red berry varietal fruits. In a million years, I would never guess its Riverland origin if served blind.” 93 pts, James Halliday 2013
2014 Pinot Noir
2012 Noble Taminga Half Bottle
La Famiglia/The Family
2015 Nero d’Avola (eta May 2016)
2013 Tasmania Chardonnay Huon Hook, Feb 15: 90 pts, 4*; Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 94 pts
2010 Heathcote Shiraz IWC 2014: Silver
2012 Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 94 pts
2013 Tasmanian Pinot Noir Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 95 pts