Two sisters running a winery? Absolutely … and doing a great job of it too, if the many awards and accolades are anything to go by!
Langhorne Creek has a history of viticulture dating back to 1860, producing some of the finest fruit in Australia, which persuaded Craig and Mignonne Willson to make the family home there in 1985. Little could they have known at the time whether a winemaking career would appeal to either of their young daughters.
In fact, the Bremerton winery is now run by Rebecca (winemaker) and Lucy (marketing and sales) – both passionate about working with Langhorne Creek fruit and promoting the area on a global scale. These sisters are clearly ‘doing it for themselves’ with great aplomb.
“…can fairly claim to be the best producer in Langhorne Creek…” James Halliday
“Take a break from mind-numbingly dull Sauvignon and dive into this jittery, eclectic little wine” Matthew Jukes (of Bremerton Verdelho)
• Rebecca: 4 times nominated as Young Winemaker of the Year
• Lucy: 1 of 5 finalists in South Australian Young Business Woman of the Year awards
• 2008 Halliday: Old Adam Shiraz rated at 97 pts, on a par with Grange and Hill of Grace
• 2012 Halliday 5 Red Star Winery – Outstanding winery regularly producing wines of exemplary quality and typicity. Will have at least two wines rated at 94 points or above, and have had a five-star rating for the previous two years.
• 2014 Halliday: 5 Star rating maintained
2012 Tamblyn (Cab Sauv/Shiraz/Merlot/Malbec)
2012/13 Selkirk Shiraz 2012 Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 93 pts; Melbourne Int. Wine Competition 2014: Gold
2012 Coulthard Cabernet Sauvignon Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 93 pts
2013 Bâtonnage Chardonnay Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 93 pts
2013 Bâtonnage Shiraz/Malbec (eta Feb 2016) Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 95 pts
2012 Old Adam Shiraz Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 95 pts
2010 Walter’s Reserve Cab Sauvignon Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 96 pts
2013/14 Fiano 2013 Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 92 pts 2014 Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 93 pts
2013 Malbec Halliday Australian Wine Companion: 94 pts